What Is Emerald Green Arborvitae?
Emerald Green Arborvitae (Thuja occidentalis ‘Smaragd’) is a popular cultivar of the American arborvitae tree, a member of the cypress family. It is a compact, narrow evergreen shrub that is prized for its dense, emerald green foliage and its ability to retain its color throughout the year, making it an excellent choice for creating privacy screens, hedges, and windbreaks in the landscape.
Emerald Green Arborvitae typically grows to a height of 10 to 15 feet (3 to 4.5 meters) and a width of 3 to 4 feet (0.9 to 1.2 meters), with a slow to medium growth rate. It prefers well-drained soils and full to partial sunlight, although it can tolerate some shade.
One of the key benefits of Emerald Green Arborvitae is its low maintenance requirements. It is resistant to most pests and diseases, and requires minimal pruning or shaping to maintain its form. It is also relatively drought-tolerant, making it a good choice for areas with limited rainfall.
In addition to its practical benefits, Emerald Green Arborvitae is also a popular ornamental plant, prized for its attractive foliage and elegant appearance. It can be used in a variety of landscape settings, including as a specimen plant, in mixed borders, or as a backdrop for other plants.
Here are some unique facts about Emerald Green Arborvitae:
- Native Range: Although Emerald Green Arborvitae is widely cultivated and grown throughout the world, it is native to eastern North America, where it can be found growing in a range of habitats, from swamps and bogs to upland forests.
- Growth Rate: While Emerald Green Arborvitae is considered a slow-growing plant, it can reach a height of 15 to 20 feet (4.5 to 6 meters) if left unpruned. This makes it one of the taller cultivars of the arborvitae tree.
- Insect Repellent: The foliage of Emerald Green Arborvitae contains natural compounds that are believed to repel a range of insects, including mosquitoes, ticks, and fleas. This makes it a useful plant for creating a bug-free zone in your garden.
- Winter Hardy: Emerald Green Arborvitae is known for its excellent cold hardiness, and can survive temperatures as low as -30 degrees Fahrenheit (-34 degrees Celsius) without suffering any significant damage.
- Deer Resistant: One of the benefits of Emerald Green Arborvitae is its resistance to deer browsing. The dense foliage and strong scent of the plant make it unappealing to deer, helping to protect it from damage in areas with high deer populations.
- Air Purifying: Like many other evergreen trees and shrubs, Emerald Green Arborvitae is an effective air purifier, helping to remove pollutants and improve air quality in urban and suburban environments.