Know the Major Differences between Skilled Independent Visa 189 & Skilled Migration Visa 190

Know the Major Differences between Skilled Independent Visa 189 & Skilled Migration Visa 190

The skilled independent visa and the skilled nominated visa are both made to allow the young, qualified and experienced individuals to live and work in Australia. Both the Skilled Independent visa 189 and the skilled nomination visas are different from other visas.

In this guide, you will learn some significant differences between the 189 and 190 visas and how they benefit the people who want to live in Australia in several ways.

Benefits of Holding a Skilled Nominated or Skilled Independent Visa

The 189 and 190 Australian visas are the two most sought visas in the country. Both the visas provide their respective holders and dependents with the benefits of being a permanent resident in Australia.

Those who are granted a 190 visa or a 189 visa in Australia can enjoy the following benefits:

  • To live and work in Australia independently
  • To study in Australia
  • To enrol in Medicare
  • To apply for citizenship if eligible
  • To sponsor relatives for permanent residency in the country
  • To travel in and out of Australia for five years from when the visa is granted.

What Are Some Differences Between the 189 and 190 Visas?

This is one of the most common questions asked by people who plan to move to Australia. One of the main differences between both visas is that the visa subclass 189 does not require sponsorship, but the holder of a 190 visa needs to be sponsored by a territory or state.

Those granted a sponsored visa need to have some obligations related to where they live that are not there on an independent visa. The skilled nominated visa obligations are:

  • Getting nominated by an Australian territory or state. This can involve making an additional or separate application to the state/ territory and meeting the unique requirements.
  • After approval, you must move to your nominated state or territory within six months of moving to Australia.
  • You can live and work in your nominated state or territory for about two years.

The other three differences between the 189 visa and the Skilled Nominated Visa Subclass 190 are:

  • The occupations nominated for a 190 visa must be chosen from the combined list of eligible skilled occupations. Still, the occupation for a 189 visa needs to be chosen from the MLTSSL or Medium and Long Term Strategic Skills List.
  • Under the 190 visa in Australia, you will receive extra five points towards your points test factors if you cannot meet the point’s requirements.
  • Another difference between the skilled independent and skilled nominated visa is the frequency of the invitation rounds. The federal government issues an invitation for 189 visas each month for every occupation.
  • The skilled independent visa invites have an occupation ceiling indicating that only several EOIs must be selected for a specific occupation. After it reaches the quota, no further invites are issued.

How Do You Apply for the Skilled Independent Visa and Skilled Nominated Visa?

The first step that you must take to acquire a skilled visa is to nominate an occupation that you would like to undertake from the skilled occupation list:

  • Skilled nominated visa applicants must choose this from the combined list of eligible skilled occupations.
  • Whereas skilled independent visa applicants need to choose this from the Medium and Long Term Strategic Skills List.

After choosing an occupation, you need to pass a skills assessment if you obtained your qualifications outside of Australia. The skill assessment tests that are conducted by your chosen industry’s assessing authorities need to ensure that your skills meet the Australian standards.

After you have chosen your occupation and your skills assessment is completed, the next step to acquiring a skilled migration visa 190 or visa 189 is to lodge an Expression of Interest (EOI) via the government’s SkillSelect service.

The EOI can tell the government that you want to be considered for a skilled visa, and you must provide relevant information regarding the following:

  • The occupation you wish to nominate
  • Your work history and experience
  • Basic personal details
  • Your education
  • Your English skills
  • Your business and investment experience
  • The skills assessment is related to the occupation you’ve nominated.

Lodging an EOI

If you want to lodge an EOI, you need to score at least 65 points against points test factors. These points are awarded mainly based on age, skilled employment, qualifications, English language ability and other factors.

You can evaluate your points using the online skilled Visa points test calculator. This test is only for individuals applying for a skilled nominated 190 visa. Every state and territory has a list of jobs that must be filled, which is why 190 visa applications must submit a state sponsorship application.

You can also indicate what state or territory you would like to work in; this process is not the same as getting sponsored by an employer. The main purpose of this requirement is not to match you with an individual employer but to locate you in a state with a shortage of skills.

You can take the help of an immigration agent in Adelaide to know more about this. If your Expression of Interest or EOI is successful, you will be invited to apply for either the Skilled Independent Visa or a Skilled Nominated Visa.

You will also be given about 60 days from receiving this invitation to lodge your application. You should not change the information you submit in your EOI in this period.

Other Requirements for the Skilled Nominated and Skilled Independent Visa Application

Applicants for either the 189 or the 190 subclass visa need to fulfil the following requirements:

  • They should not have turned 45 years of age
  • They need to be able to demonstrate their competency in communicating in English.
  • They must satisfy public interest and special return criteria.

Bottom Line

To know more about the 189 and the 190 visas, you can take the help of a migration agent in Adelaide. They are experts in handling different visa applications and can help explain the difference between 190 and 189 visas. They can also help to fill up your visa application forms to ensure that all information is put on and that there are no errors.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *