Gangtok is the capital city of Sikkim the north-eastern state of India. It is a very charming hill station in the country. The hill station is situated 1650 m above sea level. Gangtok gives a fantastic view of Mount Kanchenjunga. It is the third tallest peak in the world. The city is the gateway of Sikkim. The hill station is in the high peaks of the Himalayas.
Gangtok is a cosmopolitan city in India despite of being the second smallest city in the country. This hill station is an amazing destination as it provides all the things in a proper amount, from mesmerising beauty to thrilling adventures. The city is a mixture of modern and cultural trends. It has various tourist spots like MG Road, Nathula Pass, Rumtek Monastery, Tsomgo Lake, and many more.
Tourist attractions of Gangtok
Gangtok is a town with beautiful tourist attractions. It is the place where both peace and experience lie at the same time. This hill station is full of adventures between the sloppy mountain ranges of the Himalayas. Here you can experience extraordinary things with the feeling of tranquillity and harmony. Some of the must-visit attractions are given below:-
- Phodong Monastery :- This monastery was formed in the 18th It is 4500 ft. high, with a view of the alluring valley and the white Himalayas. This monastery was rebuilt in 1977 after it got destroyed by an earthquake. It has many old paintings and murals of famous artists from around the world.
- Teesta River :- it is an extended river with exciting twists and turns. This river is famous for rafting experiences in Gangtok. The river flows between the mountains, providing picturesque views of the valley.
- Seven Sisters Waterfall :- This waterfall is situated 32 km away from the main town of Gangtok. It is the must-visit attraction of northeast India. You can see four falls from the bottom and others can be seen from the higher level.
- Tashi Viewpoint :- From this point, tourists get breathtaking views of Mt. Kanchenjunga along with the beautiful valley. Here tourists visit to witness the sunset and sunrise between the mountains on clear days. Many cafeterias and parks are established by the government for tourists.
- Nathula Pass :- this is the highest motorable road in India in the Himalayan ranges. Travellers visit here to have a thrilling as well as deep experience of this colourful valley. The word Nathula means “listening ear pass.”
Best time to visit Gangtok
Tourists visit Gangtok during the months of March to May. During these months the weather is mild and cold and the skies are clear giving beautiful views of the snow-capped mountains. But Gangtok is the whole year destination you can visit the hill station anytime. It always provides you with a mesmerizing view of the valley and mountain ranges. During the spring season, you can witness the blooming wild Rhododendrons over the hills making the valley colourful and a picture-perfect destination.
Buddha pilgrimages of Gangtok
Gangtok is the buddha pilgrimage centre of northeast India. the town has more than 5 buddha monasteries. These monasteries are the temples of Gautam Buddha reflecting the buddha traditions and cultures. The walls of these temples are decorated with paintings of the life story of Gautam buddha.
There are many parks formed with the huge structure of Buddha in the centre. Under these statues, temples are formed with the idols of the Buddha. These are the learning centres of Buddhism and the places where tourists can relax their minds. These parks are decorated with religious flags and prayer wheels.
Speciality of Gangtok
The hill station is famous for its monasteries, temples, waterfalls, and natural beauty. Along with these Gangtok offers various shopping products such as handicrafts, traditional carpets and many more. It is the cultural and commercial centre of Sikkim. Tourists can buy anything according to their preferences and needs. The hill station is the hub of handicrafts in northeast India. Here you can find products related to home décor to traditional clothes.
MG road is the shopping centre of the town. It is also known as the open market where you can find anything you want. This is a 1km long way with huge statues in the centre. MG road is the cleanest road in Gangtok. There are shops and restaurants on both sides of the road and benches are set up for sitting in the centre.
Gangtok is a location not only with natural beauty but also offers amazing adventures. It can be concluded that it is a full packed destination. Its beautiful view and mesmerizing monasteries make the town a must-visit destination in northeast India. It is the perfect destination for travellers to explore the nature and beauty of the Himalayas. Gangtok- escape to heaven where tourist visit to find harmony.
If you want to know more information, then stay updated with think-how.com