Flutter Kicks Exercise: Flutter kicks are one of the best abs exercises, which are not difficult to start, but after 20 seconds, you start feeling the stretch and pain in the abs. Flutter kicks are a must-have abs exercise for those who wish to build a six-pack or keep their core strong.
Today in this article you will learn about the steps, variations, advantages, calorie burn, and disadvantages of doing flutter kicks –
How To Do Flutter Kicks Exercise?
One should start with the classic variation of the flutter-kicks exercise. While doing this, the legs are raised to a 45-degree angle by keeping them straight. Let us know in detail how to do traditional flutter kicks-
- First of all, lie down on your back by laying a yoga mat on a flat place.
- Now keep both hands under the hips.
- Then lift the right leg off the ground and keep the lower back on the ground. After this, the left foot has to be raised a few inches above the ground.
- Now flutter kicks have to be done by constantly changing the position of the feet.
- The head can also be raised slightly above the ground for more challenge.
- In the beginning, it has to be done till the count of 10-12. Once you practice, you can increase the count.
Flutter Kicks Exercise Variations
It is believed that if a person weighing 70 kg does flutter kicks exercise for 15 minutes, then he burns 40 calories. Here we are telling many variations of flutter kicks, by doing which the muscles of the back are strengthened. By changing this exercise a little, its difficulty can be increased or decreased. Let us know in detail about the variations of Flutter Kicks –
Criss Cross Flutter Kick
How To Do Criss Cross Flutter Kicks
- Lie down on your back.
- Both hands should be under the hips.
- Keeping the back on the ground, both the legs have to be raised upwards.
- Both the legs have to be taken in the position of a criss cross. Both the legs should move in such a way that scissors move.
- The head can also be raised above the ground for more challenge.
- The wider the legs are spread at the time of each cross, the more effective will be felt in the abdominal muscles.
Prone Flutter Kick
How To Do Prone Flutter Kicks
- Lying on the stomach, while keeping the knees outwards, tie the hands together and do it in front of the face.
- Then the chin has to rest on the hands.
- Lifting both the feet above the ground has to be done up and down in such a way as if swimming is being done.
Benefits Of Flutter Kicks
Flutter kicks are an abdominal exercise that helps in strengthening the core muscles. It also helps in reducing weight for those who want to lose weight. Let us know about the benefits of Flutter Kicks in detail-
- Posture improves by doing flutter kicks.
- The balance and stability of the person also improve.
- The abdominal muscles get stronger.
- Feels easy to do daily physical activities.
- Doing this exercise consistently helps a person achieve his fitness goal, as most physical activities require strength.
- Since flutter kicks are an abdominal exercise, it plays an important role in losing weight and getting a flat stomach.
Flutter Kicks Mistakes and Precautions
Flutter kicks strengthen the muscles of the body, but while doing it, it is important to pay attention to certain things. If you already have low back pain, doing flutter kicks can aggravate the back pain. Let us know about the disadvantages and risks of flutter kicks in detail –
- If a person feels pain in the lower back, then he should refrain from doing flutter kicks. In this way, back problems can increase.
- While doing this, the lower back should never be raised upwards nor is it advised to bring the back in an arched position. This can result in back injury or pain.
- While doing this, one should try to keep the lower part of the abdomen engaged through exercise. To do this, while trying to pull the lower part of the stomach inside the stomach, one should breathe in and then out. While doing flutter kicks, the abdominal muscles should be engaged and not the leg muscles.
- Flutter kicks exercise can be done in the first trimester of pregnancy, but it should be avoided in the second and third trimesters. Still, it would be better if a pregnant woman consults a gynecologist before doing it.
Flutter kicks are an effective exercise for working out the lower abdominal muscles. By doing this, the person’s posture improves and helps in weight loss, but while doing this exercise, special attention should be paid to safety. While doing this, the lower back should never be raised upwards, otherwise, there is a possibility of injury to the back. If there is any doubt regarding this exercise, then it is better to take the help of a fitness professional.